My dad started taking me on photo shoots when I turned interesting. (about 10) That challenged me (and probably him, too!) Photo Challenges on the Internet seem more like photo prescriptions. Someone writes a prescription for the type of photo they want, and you fill the prescription from your pharmacy of photos. Photos you might never show, often fit the challenge perfectly.
I haven’t hosted a photo challenge, but they are out there every day of the week.
- Trablogger’s Mundane Monday Photo Challenge
- Monday Window organized by Ludwig Keck.
- SL-Week is in French and English. There is a new theme or word weekly organized by Sylvain Landry. In addition to contributing pictures to the challenge, you can also participate by voting for winners.
- Monday Walks with Jo This is one of The Eternal Traveller‘s favorite challenges. It’s not really a challenge, just a chance to share your favorite walks. Couple with Cee Neuner’s Which Way Challenge
- Sally D’s Mobile Phonography Challenge There is a recurring theme each week, but the objective is to use your phone as a camera.
- Macro Moments Photography challenge by Susan Gutterman Deadline for submitting your entries is 8:00 a.m. Tuesday, Pacific Time.
- Cee Neuner’s Cee’s Odd Ball Challenge I like this one because it uses photographs that do not fit anywhere else. Cee hosts different challenges for different days of the week. Check her site for the many challenges she hosts.
- Jennifer Nicole Wells‘ One Word Photo Challenge She has seasonal challenges as well. See below for the most current seasonal challenge.
- Sandra from Wild Daffodil posts a calendar of themes for the entire year on her Photo Challenge. She and Cathy share the duties of monitoring the challenge.
- Here’s a new photo challenge that Terri Webster Brandt found, Dutch Goes the Photo. Each Tuesday Frank posts a new theme.
- Create with Joy’s Wordless Wednesday This blogger hosts challenges for practically every day of the week.
- Linda G. Hill posts a One-Liner Wednesday challenge.
- Trent’s World Weekly Smiles Note – the weekly smile runs Wednesday Morning to Wednesday morning. I post in the morning (Eastern US) and put up the link usually between 7 and 8 AM
- Norm 2.0’s Thursday Doors
- Paula’s Thursday’s Special. Click on her link to see her scheduled challenges.
- Leanne Cole’s Thursday post is Monochrome Madness Entries must be emailed to her by Tuesday @ 6:00 pm Melbourne, AU time. Additional instructions are at the bottom of the post.
- Check out Nancy Merrill’s A Photo a Week Challenge. Take photographs based on your interpretation of the theme, and post them on your blog (a new post!) anytime before the following Thursday.
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Each Friday, WP creates a theme by which bloggers can share their photo depicting that theme. Pingbacks help bloggers discover other bloggers.
- Charlotte Wasylik of Prairie Birder hosts Feathers on Friday Challenge
- Ailsa Prideaux-Mooney’s Where’s My Backpack
- Cate has a Six Word Saturday challenge I like. It’s sort of like writing a haiku or a tweet for your picture. It’s a challenge to pack bang into your word bucks.
- Jennifer Nichole Wells Weather Challenge Break from January – April. The themes are posted ahead of time.
- Darren from South East of England My Sunday Photo
- Hey Jude’s Garden Photo Challenge on the first Sunday of the month
- Jay Mountford’s Silent Sunday Challenge one picture, no words, please.
- Paula has several challenges including Black and White Sunday
ANY DAY PHOTO CHALLENGES
- Facebook had its Photo Challenge called #7DayNaturePhotoChallenge Hashtags get you all kinds of groups and communities – a topic for another post.
- One more #photochallenge on Facebook.
- Cardinal Guzman has an artistic challenge. He wants only new material each month. Check out his page, and you’ll understand what he wants.
- Photo a Day from Mat Mum Slim, who looks beautiful, BTW. #FMSphotoaday
- Carol, from my home state of IN shares an interesting challenge if you want flowers all year at May Dreams Gardens
- Dawn from the beautiful Shenandoah Valley, an hour outside of Washington DC, two hours away from the Atlantic Ocean and the Chesapeake Bay hosts Lingering Looks at Windows. You can post anytime during the month.
- Photo Rehab Lucille opened the Photo Rehab Event in this blog, a ‘healing clinic,’ for all of us who love photography (hobbyists, amateurs, pro-shooters, and enthusiasts) who missed the course and daily interaction with other photobloggers.
- Jennifer’s Halloween Challenge started Oct. 1 with a different theme each day. Check it out.
- Verena Cave posts a challenge called Festival of Leaves.
PEOPLE WHO GOT HOOKED ON PHOTO CHALLENGES
Finally, most, if not all, challenge bloggers post a link to all the bloggers who enter their challenges. Follow the clicks to get instant friends. Sticky friends are the ones you enjoy and revisit frequently.
- Photo Challenge Tip #1: Sometimes you are asked to link forward. I learned that if you put the address of their post into the url slot on their icon, rather than the automatic place it saves in you media file, then you direct people back to the originator. Thanks Jakesprinter for teaching me that!!
- Photo Challenge Tip #2: If you can tell your story using a photo challenge, you can paste a link your story to their challenge page, and more people will check it out. I spend time checking out their links too.
- Photo Challenge Tip #3: Writing photo challenges takes a lot more time and imagination than
you thinkI thought. Before you try writing your own, participate in someone else’s. They will appreciate it, and you will learn a lot. If you are like me, you’ll erase your own challenge page! (The contests you initiate hehehe) 🙂
Here are a few photo posts I wrote early on as I experimented with my new camera, Photoshop and all the technical skills I didn’t know.
- Photo Phailures
- Beautiful Vase Revisited
- Photoshopped Foothill Peach Tree Orchard
- What’s Happening …In The Foothills
- Sunday Post: Focused Attention
- Photo Problems at California Council for the Social Studies Conference
- Photoshop Sky – So easy!
You can see my photos on Instagram, Google+, Twitter, and Facebook.