“Do you want to build a successful blog?”
Peter Problogger smiled at his friend Amy Amateur as he handed her Janice Wald’s book.
“Thanks for the book, Peter. I thought my blog was successful, Peter,” Amy Amateur said, her raised eyebrows giving her an injured look.
“By ‘build a successful blog’ I mean this, Amy. Would you like more traffic, readers, friends, and people who are influenced by YOU?”
“Influenced by me. Sure! That has a nice ring to it! I definitely want THAT! I guess I don’t know it all. I can improve,” Amy said relieved.
What about you?
Are you OK with getting fewer and fewer visits your blog?
Are you convinced that you KNOW everything about blogging? Do you think your blog could not get ANY better?
THEN PLEASE DO NOT READ An Insider’s Guide to Building a Successful Blog.
Do you get confused by all the tips, tricks, and blind alleys? Do you try to understand all the skills involved in blogging, and still get stuck?
TRAFFIC-WISE I did in five years what Janice accomplished in one year.
Like Amy, I am still learning about blogging!
Blogging has changed since I started ago. HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of bloggers have joined the blogosphere. Maybe the blogosphere changed while you were busy creating posts, too.
This was a hard review to write. Why? Because I learned so many tips. Some were quick to apply. Some took longer. It took me two weeks to get halfway through Janice’s book.
What I Learned to Build Successful Blogs
- Always have an odd number in your headline.
- Put “YOU” in the headline.
- Readers find your blog easier if you add an alt text line to every graphic.
- Google your headlines before you publish your post. Notice how many tips each article wrote about your topic.
- Write one or two more tips – just end up with an odd number!
Blog Prompts to Build Successful Blogs
Wald mentioned influencers but I did not know who she meant. Were they ordinary bloggers, pro bloggers, or someone in a specific field?
To find out I checked out over 80 blogs of her acclaimed “influencers” she quoted. I wrote four blog posts in a week based on what I learned. Several of her “influencers” became my friends and followers.
Influencers Who Built Successful Blogs
Here are a few of Janice’s friends mentioned in An Insider’s Guide to Building a Successful Blog. You might see some of your own friends in her lists like I did.
- Jason Cushman (a.k.a. Opinionated Man) He really cares about people.
- HughsViewsAndNews.com He’s so funny, and he will keep you guessing.
- Melinda, the PurpleSlobInRecovery.com. She will make you laugh and keep you company if you are lonely.
- TerriWebsterSchrandt.com. She wrote Better Blogging With Photography.
- DGKayeWriter.com who wrote Have Bags Will Travel.
- Mike Allton’s book Blog Promotionology
One reviewer said she “did her homework.” Another reviewer said she did not guard her secrets. I have to agree.