RESOLVED in 2015: Update my blog. I spent two days cleaning up my three year-old blog and incorporating what I’ve learned over the years.
- Create Pages That Work
- Only use a few (3-7) Main Pages, and create sub pages if you have lots of information. Examples might be: About, Start Here, Resources, (I had about 10 pages showing.)
- Main Pages are short, but highlight your purpose.
- Spend the most time refining your About page because people will go there first to see if they want to spend any time with you.
- Don’t be afraid to borrow ideas from other people’s pages YOU liked, and revise them to make them your ideas. Did someone mention their dog, and you adore yours? Reinvent and include.
- Invite viewers to your social media on your About page
- Include contact information for readers to fill out, if your purpose is to build readership and/or sell products.
- Publish with Social Media
- Social media, even if you don’t understand it, builds statistics, and may build long-term readers. Establish social media accounts, such as Facebook Google +, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, and invite your email contacts to build each platform. Set WordPress to link automatically to social media.
- To build readership and relationships check your social media often and learn how to use it.
- Join social media groups so you can send posts and pages to specific groups who would be interested in those topics.
- Revise and Repost
- After a few months, or years depending on how much you blog, reorganize your blog.
- Update information on pages. Refer readers to search specific categories. Include lists of helpful blogs, books, and posts.
- Revise your writing based on what you have learned about that skill from blogging. For example eliminate passive verbs and pointless adverbs like quite or really.
- Copy the link of your revision and repost them on social media. Assuming that your social media presence has grown, it’s amazing how many people didn’t see it the first time, but now know you, and will visit it now.
Most of the photos above are compliments of my blogging friend, Ralph who entertained my teddy bear Manny for a month in Spain. Manny knows more about blogging than I do!
What are your plans for your blog this year?